How to sell on Amazon UK - Step 1
Amazon, with more than 20 years in the e-commerce industry, has become a giant online shopping mall.
The company's figures show the success of digital sales, as it has already exceeded 100 million subscribers in the world, and obtained a turnover of 178 billion dollars in 2017, which places it among the five most valuable firms in the world .
Amazon has built its e-commerce success on the basis of a rich product offering and a careful shopping experience, where logistics play a fundamental role.
Virtual markets like Amazon are of great help to entrepreneurs who have a small business but have not yet invested in developing their own online store, so they can become sellers, and start overnight. to work with one of the best eCommerce companies in the world.
In this way, by venturing into platforms like Amazon, the productive sector interested in selling their products in the country and abroad, eliminates intermediaries in the distribution chain that make their items more expensive, an element that undoubtedly makes them less competitive, not not for quality, but for price. In addition, it will benefit from the technological transfer of electronic payment and logistics schemes that Amazon has managed to develop with great success.
In this guide we offer you the simple and detailed process that the company asks for you to join their platform as a seller, no matter what the size of your business is.
Decide what products you are going to sell
If you are an entrepreneur with your own product or you distribute other items and you want to improve your sales through Amazon, the first thing you should know is that this e-commerce site has more than 25 product categories available to sell, but some of them require of a prior approval, since the products must present additional considerations.
1. Categories that need approval
The company limits access to sell in these categories in order to ensure that sellers meet quality standards for products and listings, as well as other category-specific requirements. These standards help Amazon customers have the confidence to shop on your page.
The categories that require authorization are:
- Bags, Suitcases and Travel Accessories
- Automotive and Motorcycles
- Baby Products (except clothing)
- Beauty and Health and Personal Care
- Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Industry, Business and Science
- Pharmacy Essentials
- Cell Phones and Accessories
- Clothes, Shoes and Accessories
- Video game
- DVD and Blu-ray
- Vitamins and Supplements
The requirements vary according to the product category, however some general restrictions are:
- The seller must have a seller account in good standing.
- All products must be listed using the manufacturer's product code (UPC, EAN, or JAN). If the product does not have a product code, you should consult the Amazon Brand Registry to find out how to list products without a product identifier.
- Products from categories such as Beauty, Personal Care, as well as Vitamins and Supplements must be sold with the New status posting. They cannot be published with the status Used.
- All products must meet product safety standards.
2. Categories that do not require approval
The categories that do not require prior authorization from Amazon are:
- Cameras and Photography
- Electronics (some exceptions may require specifications)
- Home and Kitchen
- Musical instruments
- Office and Stationery
- Personal computers
- Sports and Outdoors
- Tools and Home Improvement
- Toys and Games (may require authorization for holiday sales)
3. How to get authorization
Amazon makes available to new sellers a list with the sales categories, both those that require authorization and those that do not, on its Amazon Services page, as well as the requirements for each one.
Once you have identified the category of your product and if you meet all the requirements described, you must request authorization from your Seller Central account. To do this, you must fill out the application, and you will receive an email response within three business days confirming if you were approved or if more information about the product is requested.